BUILDING YOUR DREAM HOME – TOP TIPS BEFORE AND AFTER
5 Top tips before you embark on your project
- Check that your insurer is happy to cover you for the proposed works.
- Ask your builder for a copy of his insurance – a broker will be happy to check the policy.
- Employ a project manager like www.clearplanpm.co.uk
- Get a Structural Insurance Warranty quotation. You may need one if you require a mortgage to complete the build.
- Know who to contact if there are problems.
5 Top tips after you project is completed
- Review your sum insured - an expensive new kitchen could increase the rebuild amount, for instance.
- Review the security of any new outbuildings, for example, sheds, summer houses or home offices.
- Obtain a completion certificate from Building Control.
- If you are likely to sell your house within the next 10 years to someone who might need a mortgage ensure you have Structural Warranty Insurance as an insurance claim cannot be made against your building inspector.
- Apply for a VAT refund on building materials and services – you must apply to HMRC within 3 months of completing the work.